Sunday, August 8, 2010

Happy Birthday to me!!

The mastectomy, on my birthday, went well.  Surgery was quick and I didn't get sick from anesthesia.  Dr Scarborough removed my left breast and all related lymph nodes.  I spent the night in the hospital and went home the next morning.  This past week at home has been interesting. The drains that were left in my incisions have been my worst problem, they are constantly in my way and pull at the incisions.  I have also been having muscle spasms in my pectoral muscle.  Dr Scarborough left the top of my pectoral muscle intact to help with a more natural look after reconstruction and said that I needed to do arm exercises to help with the spasms.  My arm is numb and sore but I have been trying to do the exercises.  I can not wait to go to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully get these drains removed.  Also, we should get the pathology report tomorrow and decide what the next step will be for treatment.

I can not thank my friends and family enough for all the support they have shown during this time.  My church family has provided dinner for us every night and let me assure you, we have been well fed!!  The calls, visits and messages have also meant so much to me.  Thanks to my family, especially my sweet husband, for taking such wonderful care of me.  I have tried to not be too much of a whiney baby!  And most thanks to my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, who is teaching me every day to lean more on Him and to remember 'all thing work together for good'.

Keep Praying!

Dawn

1 comment:

  1. Dawn you are awesome! You've turned the whole thing around. We're supposed to be a blessing to you, but you are such a great blessing and example to all of the rest of us. Love you and yours and am praying for you. We all say this, and we all mean it sincerely: call if you need us.

    ReplyDelete